Thread: PWCC results
View Single Post
Old 01-14-2019, 06:28 PM
Sam Sw@rtz

Quote:
Originally Posted by bounce View Post
Related to this on the stickers, and as someone else already noted, that Young Portrait 4 while nice isn't worth that in my opinion.

From the description - "Shows like a '5' in every way we know to view a T206." - Well, 5s were $3800 cards until Dec-2018 when a 5 PQ became a $10k card. Except this one is actually a 4, not a 5. Four rounded corners, slightly off center to the left = certified high end?

Another example, at least of some description "flowering", the Cobb bat off 4.5. "...four mostly sharp corners...wear to the extreme corner tips...". I would ask that you look again, maybe top left is sorta "mostly sharp" (not really), but the other three are definitely touched with bottom right having a fold (?) and bottom left absolutely rounded. Rounded and sharp do not appear as synonyms anywhere I can locate. Still equals certified high end?

Seems I don't actually understand what these designations actually mean anymore. Seems to me it's just a "prop" used for nice looking cards that has become it's own "thing". We've beaten that discussion to death already, but I guess you can't disagree with the auction results of those stickers.

I had bid on all the higher grade dark and white caps, but ultimately backed off on all. This was a great looking card, certainly a good price compared to prior two sales over $5k each.

I bid on 70 cards, won zero. Was underbidder on one - the 1928 Star Candy Ted Lyons authentic.

Looking forward to round two of basically just watching TV tonight.
I bought the Cobb Bat Off you referenced. Didn’t even read the description. Just bought based on the image. And I don’t feel bad about the price, even if others do.

Last edited by mechanicalman; 01-14-2019 at 06:28 PM.