Thread: Mariano
View Single Post
Old 01-22-2019, 10:26 PM

Default Mariano

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eric72 View Post
I’m happy for Mariano. However, the fact that he was the very first player to be unanimously voted into the Hall is unreal. Never once, in all these years, has someone gotten 100% of the votes. Yet, somehow Mariano Rivera (a relief pitcher) accomplishes this astounding feat.

Absolutely stunning.
So true but you have to understand that for virtually the longest time, there would always be a handful of baseball writer HOF voters that made it “their” rule NEVER to vote for first ballot candidates. For whatever stupid reason they made this stance, it made it impossible to be unanimously voted in. Additionally, my assumption is that some of the voting sportswriters possibly had a grievance with a particular player on the ballot (once again for whatever reason), leading to the voter omitting them from a respective vote. With Mariano being the consummate professional and portraying unparalled class throughout his magnificent career, he obviously did not piss off many sportswriters, if any at all. Also, it is highly likely that the handful of previous “pig-headed” non-first ballot voters have either been phased out or changed their stance. That said, I strongly believe that Derek Jeter will be the 2nd unanimous Cooperstown Inductee.

Last edited by Vintageclout; 01-22-2019 at 10:33 PM.