View Single Post
Old 02-01-2019, 02:21 PM
Fr@nk Burke++

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peter_Spaeth View Post
Seems to me a strange case of IP rights? I would think maybe the player could object if you used his name commercially (though I can't imagine why he would object to being on an APBA card), but why would MLB have a claim? Maybe the player assigns his rights to MLB? Anyhow the whole thing seems rather silly.
Not sure, but it could have been a problem with the player's union. At the time the game company wasn't doing well and if the union demanded fees from them, it could have been the nail in the coffin. Not sure what the opt out was for the players or what the consequences would have been for the game company if they had used the names.

Apparently the dispute, whatever it was, was a factor for five years, but the players with fake names were not necessarily fake players for that entire span according to the chart posted.

The fact that this question was transplanted from another thread according to Cliff is yet another mystery. Could this be a Twilight Zone thing?

GOOD FOR THE HOBBY AND THE FORUM WITH A VAULT IN AN UNDISCLOSED LOCATION FILLED WITH NON-FUNGIBLES

274/1000 Monster Number

Nearly*1000* successful B/S/T transactions completed in 2012-24.
Over 680 sales with satisfied Board members served.
If you want fries with your order, just speak up.
Thank you all.

Now nearly PQ.