View Single Post
Old 03-07-2019, 02:47 PM
John Otto
J0hn Ot.to

Default To what degree do graded card collectors despise setting free?

This is a question I have been curious about for a while. I know I have read that those who collect graded cards get upset when a PSA 8 or better are popped due to registries, data accuracy for counts, ect. To be clear, I am a raw set collector, BUT I do have some graded cards in my collection I won't pop for my sets. Cards like Clemente, Rose rookies, ect that have massed produced reprints, graded cards are the only thing I trust.

Where is the line where graded card collectors who care about the numbers care of what is taken out of circulation?

My sets are consistent to 4, 5, and 6's if they were to be graded. I'm sure I have some 7s...maybe some higher...and if anything is below a 4, I upgrade. With that said, I have a little stack of slab cards I keep...make that a pretty decent stack..lol, with the majority 5s. I have only popped maybe 2 or 3 7's...never anything higher. I have recently purchased two cards where this question comes to me...these are hard SP cards. Do people care about popping a 4 or 5? Does it matter to ANYONE if an SP 66 Topps is popped? I plan on it, but am really curious if this would make someone upset?

Got both of these frankly cheaper than I have seen for raw...and I did dip down to a 4 on the Grant RC as this is the 3rd one i've owned...this will by far be the most centered example I have had and will look awesome in the binder. And again...opinions on taking these out of circulation from graded collectors? My gut says folks only care about 8 or higher...but I really have no idea, and no idea if mid grade cards only matter if they are HOFers or SP's...

1963 Fleer - 1981-90 Fleer/Donruss/Score/Leaf Complete
1953 - 1990 Topps/Bowman Complete
1953-55 Dormand SGC COMPLETE SGC AVG Score - 4.03