View Single Post
Old 03-25-2019, 11:26 AM

I happen to love the 2014 NSCC "1934-36 Diamond Stars". Whoever produced them did a terrific job. I was able to purchase the Ruth, Gehrig, and DiMaggio that had been encapsulated by PSA, numbered out of 500. You and I know they aren't genuine, and the official PSA-encapsulated cards lets all know they are fantasy cards. You and I also know they precisely show what a Diamond Star would have looked like of those three greats had the company printed them back in the day. Works great for me, as I can at least afford these!

What was done by the same firm for the National a year earlier was just as compelling, a 1915 Cracker Jack Babe Ruth. In my enthusiasm for the card, I recklessly and in poor judgement predicted it would one day become a $1,000 card, since nice period cards of Ruth are extremely few and far between, and PSA again had encapsulated just 500 of them, with many recipients preferring to hang on to theirs and enjoy it! That was dumb of me. Oh well. Regardless, I do love that fantasy Cracker Jack Babe Ruth!

I had hoped that the firm would produce an extension "set" of the 1933 Delong baseball series, and since I'm dreaming, how about Babe Ruth, Dizzy Dean, Carl Hubbell, Mel Ott, Josh Gibson, Satchel Paige, and Paul Waner.

---Brian Powell