View Single Post
Old 04-23-2019, 04:10 PM
Dave.Horn.ish

Quote:
Originally Posted by savedfrommyspokes View Post
Congrats Tom on finishing the 69 set...my only completed OPC set from the 60s.

I have a theory on why Topps stopped their production on this set at 218. A few years back, I picked up a grouping of 1968-70 OPC cards on ebay from a seller in Canada. Included in this several hundred card grouping were some last series 69 Topps (not OPC) cards. What was interesting about these regular 1969 Topps cards is the fact that all of them had at least one and in some cases multiple rough edges, almost identical to a typical OPC cut. Having gone through many 10s of 1000s of 1969s Topps over the years, I do not recall seeing this many OPC type rough edges with the 69 Topps, especially all in one place at one time. It also seemed odd that a Canadian collector would have just a handful of regular issue Topps cards (with an OPC cut) in with all of their other OPC cards.

So, I have always wondered if Topps may have sold uncut sheets of some of the later series 69s to OPC so they could cut up and distribute them in Canada later in the summer as a test to see how the later series would sell. Based on the cutting of the edges and where the cards in this grouping came from, this would not seem out of line. If this was a test, it must of worked well enough as OPC issued a 546 card set in 1970.
This is not the craziest thing I have ever read, although in '68 they only had 196. I wonder if 1969 OPC packs have been found with Topps cards above #218 in them?

Last edited by toppcat; 04-23-2019 at 04:12 PM.