View Single Post
Old 05-13-2019, 06:43 AM
Paul

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peter_Spaeth View Post
I don't think that's entirely fair. PSA is for the most part grading very strictly -- higher grades obviously would bring in a lot more money -- and they reject tons of cards which if slabbed would make lots of money. What I think you're missing is that card doctors are very very good, or some of them, and without a crime lab and without the before and after photos that make alteration obvious that you see on Blowout, it's pretty tough sometimes to tell.
I think Peter is spot on. And it’s the same with forged signatures. As long as a slabbed card is accepted as a liquid asset, criminals will be flooding the grading companies trying to get worthless garbage into their holders. PSA, SGC, and Beckett are all very good at sorting through the garbage, but well done fraud will sneak in occasionally. And if it gets caught by enterprising collectors with days and weeks of research, it highlights the limitations of the system.

If you want to spend thousands on graded cards, you must accept that system that graded your card very likely devoted less than a minute or two on your card.

Someone really ought to invent a grading company for high end cards, where the company spends a few days at least on each individual card that gets submitted — check each paper fiber, get a few different eyes in each card, do some research into the history of the card on-line and otherwise, build a database of crooked submitters that gets shared with the FBI and local law enforcement, keep records of each card and track the history going forward, with a digital notification if the seal ever gets broken, and other fun stuff I’m just making up.

www.instagram.com/signedT206/
@SignedT206