View Single Post
Old 05-17-2019, 05:32 PM
Hank Thomas

Yes, Larry did get a tremendous kick out of what he did for the players and their memories, including sharing his royalties with them for years. And you're right that I did miss the small and parenthetical mention of Ritter's book on the back cover on first glance at the package. But how hard would it have been to feature the names of both these famous men on the cover, giving full credit where it's due? I'd guess their estates won't be seeing any money from this publication of their work, but letting buyers know whose work this is would seem to be a basic consideration for someone issuing this product out of love for it and a desire to get it into the hands of those who would appreciate it. As I said, why wouldn't you want their names on the package? Why would you be surprised that Neal and I gave credit to Conlon for the cover photo? We gave credit to all the many photos we used. As for what Larry would think about the DVD, what comes to mind is what he said about the film when I asked him about it. Laughing sardonically, he said: "Oh yeah, the film. Bud and I are friends, but I never got a dime out of it." I doubt if he'd care one way or the other that someone was putting out the DVD with his famous title on it, and would no doubt have something similar to say about the way it was issued. Larry knew how the world works.