View Single Post
Old 06-03-2019, 06:09 PM
5t3v3...D4.w50n

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peter_Spaeth View Post
It is illegal to use the mail or wires to commit fraud. Selling something while intentionally misrepresenting or concealing a material fact is fraud. Doing it repeatedly is a scheme to defraud. I can't do this over and over. If you think you know the law better than I do, that's fine, I really don't care at this point honestly.

The thing is, if PSA has graded a card as a "6", and I sell it as a "PSA 6", how have I done anything illegal?

If I know the card used to be a PSA 4, and it is now a PSA 6, how have I done anything illegal? Cards are routinely resubmitted and regraded constantly, with different grades; how do I determine which grade is correct? Answer is, I go by PSA's latest opinion.

Now, if I take a PSA 4 card, remove it from the holder, alter it, and then resubmit it to PSA, and PSA regrades it as a 6, how is that illegal? There is no law prohibiting it. PSA's "policy" is that certain alterations would preclude that card from getting a numerical grade; while some alterations are perfectly acceptable. That is only PSA's internal "policy" though; it is not codified in law. If it is now a PSA 6, and I sell it as such, that is not illegal.

Beckett grades "sheet-cut" cards. PSA doesn't. If I get an uncut sheet of 1979 Topps hockey, and cut the Gretzky out of it, and submit it to Beckett, they'll grade it. If I send it to PSA, they say in their "policy", that they won't grade it. But say in this instance, PSA grades the card as a 10; and I in turn, sell it as a PSA 10. How is that illegal? It is legal. Some collectors may not like it, but there is nothing "illegal" about it.

Steve

Current Wantlist:
1909 Obak Howard (Los Angeles) (no frame on back)
1910 E90-2 Gibson, Hyatt, Maddox