View Single Post
Old 06-07-2019, 07:53 PM
T0dd M@rcum

I did a lot of work with the National D-Day Foundation when they were building the monument in Bedford Va. I got to meet a few of the surviving Bedford Boys, which was a humbling experience. One of my favorite experiences was when I was writing a newsletter and got to interview the woman who had typed the D-Day invasion plans for Ike. She was awesome. She was a small town girl from the midwest and got sick of being there because "there were no boys left at home." She was a good typist and eventually found her way to Eisenhower's office (she described him as extremely courteous and a perfect gentleman). She said that each day they would lock her and Ike in a windowless cinderblock office with guards stationed outside and she would type. At the end of the day, the guard would open the door and burn the carbons...she said she typed three copies and carbon paper was the way you did it back then, kids. I asked her if she understood the enormity of the work she was doing. She said, "Heavens no...I was just worried about making a typo."