View Single Post
Old 07-10-2019, 11:04 AM
Don

The different printings makes sense, and I agree that it's more complicated than a straightforward Piedmont first theory.

What I hoped is that it might be possible to determine the original 150 subjects before the substitution of subjects occurred. (assuming substitutions occurred at all)

It's recognized that there are 156 150 subjects, and we can combine Magee with Magie, since Magie obviously had to be part of the original 150.

That leaves 5 cards that I think are candidates for not being in the original 150 roster - Wagner, Plank, Lundgren, Jennings, and Crawford.

None of those 5 are found with Sovereign 150 backs.

Crawford is SC and Piedmont.

Jennings and Lundgren are Piedmont only.

Wagner and Plank are SC and Piedmont, but never issued in Piedmont packs, effectively making them SC only.

Unfortunately, none of that adds up to anything straight forward as far as being able to determine if there were actually 150 original subjects.

It would be a lot easier if both SC and Sovereign had only 150, and Piedmont included the other 5 in issued packs. Then it might make sense.

So, I suppose the answer probably is: There isn't really an original 150.

I'd love to continue the conversation and maybe shed some light on how the different printings affect the 5 subjects that aren't included with all three 150 backs.