View Single Post
Old 07-25-2019, 07:27 PM
Steve Birmingham

Quote:
Originally Posted by Exhibitman View Post
Man's got a right to do his job; we need criminal defense attorneys to put the government to the test. I could not do it but that's why I keep my practice far away from criminal defense. Family law too; that's some nasty, nasty stuff.
I totally agree.

I'm fortunate that I don't have dilemmas like that in any of my work.

I did usually adjust prices according to a few things at the bicycle shop. A single mom with a bike problem who is just trying to take a short ride with her kids usually got a very good price.. The Lance wannabe on the $3K plus bike who wants to stand over me and tell me how to repair his trivial problem... Yeah, he paid for her repair and his, and in at least one case at least 3-4 others. that guy was bad enough I handed him the tool and walked away. When he asked where I was going I said he seemed to know how to do it and I had work I needed to get back to. He didn't, apologized, and didn't seem bothered at all when I charged him $30 just to adjust the height of the seat, something that usually took <1 minute and was often charged as "when you'r ride is done come back and buy an ice cream or something"

The guy ranting about how we didn't know what we were doing etc when everything worked perfectly and hadn't cost as much as the other local shops charged... He got politely sent to the guy up the street who charged him 5x as much for repairs that didn't fix anything.
When the new owner asked, I told him that now that guy was the other shops problem, and the way I did it, he was happy about it. (Yes, happy enough that he sent us 5 other customers in the next few months )And eventually came back with a somewhat better understanding of things in general.