View Single Post
Old 09-27-2019, 04:01 PM
Rick

I wanted to revive this thread from 6 years ago as I believe I have a little more info regarding these displays. I just purchased one, and it was shipped to me collapsed flat in the original box from when these were originally made. I have attached pictures below of the display flat as well as the box, which says “Sweeney Litho” and “Brooklyn Dodgers” in light pencil, but also has a full address for Sweeney Litho in New York as well. The person I acquired this from said he found both the display and box in his father’s things, but he doesn’t know how he acquired them. He also said his father had been in the advertising business, so he could well have acquired it though business contacts. However, since the item was originally delivered to Sweeney Litho, I think it seems likely that they were an art dealer (rather than a fabricator), and that the item was subsequently sold by them in a retail environment. This doesn’t mean they weren’t distributed though other means, but based on the box, retail sales seem to me to have been likely.

Rick

IMG_1287[1].jpg

IMG_1290[1].jpg

IMG_1291[1].jpg