View Single Post
Old 10-19-2019, 05:34 AM
David Peck

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bored5000 View Post
I agree completely with the bold excerpt. Everyone collects differently. I am a tiny, tiny fish in the hobby, but I love cards that are rare and might pop up once a year or once every few years, as opposed 1951B Mantle cards or T206 Cobb cards or 1933 Goudey Ruth cards that can be found any time. That doesn't make it right or wrong, just a different collecting interest.
My buddy Rob (WCK) a year or so ago landed a Frank Gotch card he had been trying to land for fifteen years.

T229 Kopec Cigarettes Sports Champions Frank Gotch Card

He was a nervous wreck all week and then launched a no lose snipe that ended up being three times what he paid.

This is the kind of hunt that drives people to spend their hard earned money on cards.

While some, myself included find this kind of rarity more exciting, others would rather something from modern times and that is okay too. Derek Jeter is not some rookie that hasn't played a game yet or a star in their third year that may get injured. He is a legend and is cards are reflecting legend values.

I think the biggest appeal to most modern cards is that the subject is still alive and so you own stock in them. You own a piece of their legacy and people love that. When I showed Ric Flair a copy of his 1982 Wrestling All Stars in a Gem Mint 10 he thought it was awesome. He has no desire to collect cards but he likes high quality stuff and he respects the fact that there are fans out there that seek out his collectibles.

We haven't been in contact recently but Evan Mathis and I used to text back and forth frequently and he tracked down his best cards. I would too! How cool would that be to see yourself on a football card and then go find them in their best condition. Sounds amazing.

Trying to rationalize how others collect is a pointless exercise. Everyone is different and I have always said there is no right or wrong way. Do what makes you happy and don't worry about the rest.