View Single Post
Old 11-01-2019, 09:55 AM
Ryan
Ryan McCla.nahan

It's not the cards, it's the collectors, dealers and auction houses that are the problem. This a great Hobby, but we've gotten away from what it was intended to be. Our Hobby ffounders like Burdick, Carter, Bray, Wagner and Nagy must be rolling over in the graves to see what its become.

I plan to keep my collection intact until my passing -hopefully, a long time from now, but in the mean time I'll set something up in writing so my future bride and family wont be burdened by trying to unload something they either might not want or no nothing about. I'd probably be better off using an auction house because I cant see dealers handling it and intentionally trying to rip off the future bride or family.

I would also say make your intentions crystal clear in writing and in a Will - as to what you want to do with your collection when or if you pass on. A lot of time family members have no clue to A) what the collector has, B) what was paid out for it and C) What the realistic return on a potential investment should look like.

Many times a widow or family member inherits a collection and thinks they're sitting on a fortune only to find out it isn't worth nearly what they think it is. That's why you should go to an appraiser and if necessary, get it insured afterwards.