View Single Post
Old 01-01-2020, 04:57 PM
Marc

Ha! Not mine, and I think I'll stay away from the bleaching project. I'm more leery these days about bleaching felt (see below). But I was wondering if the white Giants pennant is the one that might show up in cloth, with the larger MLB (as opposed to the orange one Greg posted).

As for bleaching, I picked up this Oilers pennant a few months ago on an offer. It's tough to find in white, so I took a chance. What I didn't realize is that this pretty old pennant is made of very stiff felt. I started with the 50/50 bleach/water mix I've used before and it didn't do s*%t. It was taking forever for the liquid to soak into the material. I ended up switching to 100% bleach spraying for about 5 minutes, because the pennant looked pretty crappy with the stain and I decided I was going to see how much it could take. The results are below. Overall, it's not great, but not total trash. Given how much bleach I poured onto it, I'm actually surprised that there is any blue left at all (you can see streaking in the blue if you look closely). I had the spine taped, but it didn't mater after I went spray crazy. I may attach a new spine and just hang it somewhere in direct sunlight (where I can't hang any really good stuff). If I decided to try to bleach anything like this again, I think I'd try soaking it in water first, so the belach could get in to the material more quickly. And I'd remove the spine first.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_3853.jpg (75.4 KB, 379 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_3855.jpg (56.2 KB, 372 views)