View Single Post
Old 01-22-2020, 03:47 PM

Default 1871 America's Cup Winner

Well here I am going off the reservation again...yes has condition issues but find another...here's the story...This is an c1871 albumen print...actually it's two joined albumens which combined as seen are 21 5/8" wide x 9 1/8" tall...that's just the photo excluding the backing and frame...

THE SCENE
The image is a panoramic of a Regatta between the NY Yacht Club and the Eastern Yacht club...more precisely ten minutes before the race started...that according to the printed information below...and speaking of the printing below...I'm very taken by the treatment...that is, how the photographer who produced it laid it all out i.e. designed the whole display...having all kinds of information what's going on in the picture...the crescendo being the legend along the bottom edge giving the names of the boats (yachts)...without that ya got nothing almost...but with it....it's a very good piece of Yachting history....and here's the hook...

THE YACHT COLUMBIA JOINT WINNER OF 1871 AMERICA'S CUP
In the photo is the Yacht Columbia identified by the legend...The Columbia went on to win the America's Cup purportedly a month after this photo was taken...I have more research to do but that's what the seller said in the listing...so to be confirmed...But I do know the Columbia was built in the same year as the photo...

So in baseball card jargon I got the Columbia's rookie card LOL...I plan a feature on it and will continue the research after I get it...should be here next week...hopeful the original wavy glass make it....