View Single Post
Old 01-24-2020, 07:22 AM
G@nn0n
G@nnon As.ip

Well, I have more than a few stories. But a couple in particular. One time when I needed some money, I sold my 1968 Topps set. I had the complete set, which I bought for $18 from the back of a Baseball Digest in the early 1970's! Well, I sold it for $3000 about 12 years ago. But, when I shipped it, I forgot that I had the complete game set in the back!! Lol. I wouldn't have minded keeping that set. Oh well...

At the same time, I had some cards graded, and I had a pristine 1959 Topps Mickey Mantle. I graded that along with some Hassan Triple folders and put them up for sale on ebay. Again, I needed the money, and I got some great money on the Triple Folders.

But - PSA wanted their cards in specific top loaders, and sure enough, when I was putting the Mantle in, I slightly damaged one of the lower corners. It must have taken the card down from at least an 8 or a 9 (in my opinion) down to a 6. When I sold it, I only got a little over $300. I just should have kept it. I will get that card back some day. It wasn't worth getting only the $300 for it.

Lastly, I would also like to get a 1968 Mickey Mantle again. I had it of course, with the '68 complete set. But I also had one that my friend gave to me back in 1968. I had started collecting after the 3rd series came out, and the card wasn't available any more in the stores. My friend gave it to me right before our swim team practice began. As a young lad of 9, I innocently put the card in my gym bag, which I also put my wet towel and suit in. Needless to say, the card became so frayed from the wet gear!

So, one day, I will get that card back too...

Last edited by jgannon; 01-24-2020 at 07:24 AM.