View Single Post
Old 01-25-2020, 09:10 PM
Tim Odeen

That Indy 500 photo is killer. My dad worked for Philip Morris who sponsored Penske Racing. We were always cheering for the white and red Penske cars. It's the only reason I enjoy racing. When Penske would win, he sometimes got cool mementos to hang up. He has a neon, a signed Al Unser Jr. print, and one other sign. We were sad when they parted ways.

Quote:
Originally Posted by CarltonHendricks View Post
[FONT="Arial"][SIZE="4"][COLOR="Navy"]

2019 Wrap
The last three years or so have been spectacular….2019 saw some amazing finds….pretty tough to pick favorites but I’ll take a run at it….Maybe first place goes to this original 1911 Panoramic of the first Indianapolis 500…A gentleman who had enquired in the past to buy a Bobby Jones broadside emailed me again to see if I had changed my mind…I sent him back a polite thank you but no thank you…So over the following week I was thinking about his offer….and it occurred to me I never asked him if he had anything for sale…what was I thinking I thought…I always shake the bushes to see what falls out...dummy…so later that day I emailed him back and said I meant to ask if you just collect golf….and do you have anything for sale…I don’t really know the guy but I think he was in Atlanta and I think he’s a surgeon…So he goes….I just collect golf…but I’ve got two panoramic photos from the Indianapolis 500…one from the first year 1911 and the other from 1912…and that he had them in storage and he’d get them out to photograph for me…Plus he said he had a steel Nascar sign that was really something…I said sounds good let’s take a look…So about a week later he emails me the photos…Dang they were killer…He said he’d like to keep the 1912 but I could have the 1911 and the Nascar sign…So I said I’d like them both and he made me a better deal…He told me he had gotten all them fifteen years ago out of a Leland’s auction….and that they had been way in the back of the catalog…and said he didn’t pay much for them just thought they were great…sounded like he threw some bottom feeder bids and ended up with all them….In the mean time before I pulled the trigger I was researching the heck out them to make up my mind…I learned the photographer C.F. Bretzman had been the official photographer of the race appointed by the promoter…and if I recall I think there is at least one other panoramic shot the photographer did of the race…but all in all the image is rare…the seller said it was a newer frame maybe from the 70’s…then when I opened it up I was blown away….it’s not a newer frame…the glass is wavy and period 1911…and I’m all about wavy glass original so I was thrilled…
Successful deals with: Banksfan14, Brianp-beme, Bumpus Jones, Dacubfan (x5), Dstrawberryfan39, Ed_Hutchinson, Fballguy, fusorcruiser (x2), GoCalBears, Gorditadog, Luke, MikeKam, Moosedog, Nineunder71, Powdered H20, PSU, Ronniehatesjazz, Roarfrom34, Sebie43, Seven, and Wondo

Last edited by todeen; 01-25-2020 at 10:19 PM.