View Single Post
Old 02-07-2020, 04:50 AM
Keith

Thumbs up

Thanks for the responses guys.

Sean, I agree with what you said and it's something that my buddy Vince mentioned to me...that these 10 commons could be a giveback to collectors since the stakes are much lower.

A number of commenters on the video believe that the common grading is skewed because collectors are only going to send those in if they believe they are nearly guaranteed a 10. I think this is overstating it because no one can predict what PSA is going to do with any submission.

Ultimately I don't know how to test if PSA is being too easy on commons. What's been helpful to me is comparing the key cards to a 3rd group: the other HOF cards in that set. They share more features with the key cards in that they have higher submission rates and they are submitted as borderline 8/9's vs borderline 9/10's as commons might be.

And you can see in the data than in nearly every case these key cards still have higher 9:10 ratios than the HOF'ers too.

In terms of resolving if PSA is too easy on the commons, perhaps the only way would be to do a content analysis and look at these 10's and see if they really are 10's. There just aren't enough photos/sales of these cards out there to really even do that. It's a mystery at this point.

Thanks for the comments!