View Single Post
Old 02-19-2020, 09:01 PM
M@rk Lu7z

Quote:
Originally Posted by AstroJake09 View Post
Hi all,

Just putting some thoughts out here and realizations for me at least concerning card collecting.

In the past week I made two card purchases, one a game-used Joe Mauer card and a 2002 Joe Mauer Bowman Chrome Base Auto.

My reasoning behind each purchase was different. In terms of the game used card it was a button card of Joe Mauer. The card instantly grabbed my attention and having seldom since this card of Mauer, I instantly jumped at the chance to purchase it. Only after buying it did I realize that I probably overpaid, then I made the mistake of reading up on the skeptisism concerning game-used cards. Needless to say the excitement wore off rather quickly. I decided that I would then chalk this up as a 'bad' purchase and move on.

The 2002 Bowman Chrome Mauer Auto is a purchase that I am estatic with. I was able to aquire a raw example of the card for less than half of the next option. I originally bought this as an investment but as Joe is my favorite player, don't ever seeing myself seling the card unless I needed to. The card is a beautiful example and goes back to the early days of prospect autos and what kick started the Bowman Chrome craze.

These purchases showed me that it isn't always about the investment or the value of a card, but rather if you enjoy it or not. The game-used card is almost a paperweight to me now. I bought it thinking it was a card few others had and that it held immense value. While the autographed card is a card I have been after for a while and is a key card when discussing the career of my favorite player. I also learned that while there are many cards I'd like to have, I can't buy them all. I need to focus on a meaningful card rather than many cards and collect within my buget and means, rather than looking at them as investment opporotunities and quick flips. I waited and was patient for the 2002 Mauer to pop up and it payed off as it was a good time. Being a college student, finding the cards I'd like is hard and aquiring them even harder. I will now approach this hobby with a new mindset. Focused on collecting within my budget and the historical aspects of cards, rather than aquiring many (or trying) for value and being somewhat materialistic.

Again, just some random thoughts.

Jake
Jake
It's a good lesson to learn earlier than later. For the most part, when I buy cards and other things, I ask myself if I'd still buy them if the value were to plummet in a couple of years. Because I'm looking for things that are hard to find, the answer is usually "yes."
Mark