View Single Post
Old 02-22-2020, 12:17 PM
Belltown Vintage

Default Baseball Magazine Cover Study Paintings (Cobb,Fed Lg) - Beneker

I have three of these cover study paintings, and need to sell ONE. I love all three and have no real preference as to which one goes. If I get a few quick responses I will consider selling more than one, but otherwise, the first "I want xxx" will get that one. I am open to offers, but response to offers will have to wait until I hear from anyone who wants the item for asking price, which I have tried to make very reasonable. Nothing will be shipped framed - those are shown for illustrative purposes.

Payment by money order, cashier's check, personal check (if I know you or someone I know knows you), and Paypal but add 3%. 'Friends and Family' no longer buys us anything, as the sender has to pay ~3.3%. Reply "I'll take xxx painting", then send a PM to me. Thanks.
  • 'Ty Cobb Number' (7x10) - $1,699. Shown next to final cover (not included). This WILL include a hardback 1st edition copy of 'Inventing Baseball Heroes' by Roessner. The book describes BB Magazine's editor F.C. Lane's process for choosing Gerritt Beneker to paint the cover for the 'Ty Cobb Number'. Print 'signature' on front, cursive signature on back.
  • 'Federal League' (8x11.5) - $759 Shown next to final magazine cover (not included) Print 'signature' on front, cursive signature on back.
  • 'Take This Car' (6.75x9.75) - $669. Shown next to final magazine cover (not included). Unsigned.

These paintings were originally made available to the public through a local auction in Gerritt Beneker's home town. Most were folded watercolor studies (as these are). Apparently Beneker would submit the requested study to the publisher, folded in an envelope, and it would be sent back to him after review (Beneker often hand-wrote a 'return to...' note on the back of each study). This could involve several interations. Eventually a design would be approved and Beneker would send in a final painting, a proof would be created and then would be published as the magazine cover.

The paintings shown below are all one-off studies as far as I know;i.e-they are the only study for each represented cover that has surfaced.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Cobb-comp.jpg (77.5 KB, 397 views)
File Type: jpg Cobb-Bk.jpg (25.7 KB, 401 views)
File Type: jpg Take This-comp.jpg (75.8 KB, 398 views)
File Type: jpg Take This-bk.jpg (31.0 KB, 403 views)
File Type: jpg Fed Lg-comp.jpg (73.7 KB, 400 views)
File Type: jpg Fed Lg-Bk.jpg (36.5 KB, 402 views)
File Type: jpg Fed Lg-framed.jpg (70.8 KB, 397 views)
File Type: jpg Take This-framed2.jpg (75.1 KB, 402 views)

Last edited by Runscott; 02-26-2020 at 03:01 PM.