View Single Post
Old 03-18-2020, 03:13 PM
Rob

Quote:
Originally Posted by batsballsbases View Post
Rob,
I had to think long and hard about the question you are asking what is real and what is fake. Lets try and clear some points up all pins are REAL! Now the real question is are all pins ERA real! I have collected pins for over 45 years and have a collection very large so I have been able to see many styles,,, It takes years sometimes to gain the knowledge and sometimes even an expert gets burned . Your first point is the Brown pin real yes, is it Era Real ( in my opinion ) NO. To many red flags keep it from being good. Second " one of a kind pins" yes do exist and are era real. Lets take Pierce ( We all know your a Giants collector) As was just pointed out to you Andy (andypcl) Hi Andy now owns that Pierce pin I have he has one. So now there are 2. Is it real Absolutely! Era real Absolutely! (I post Pics) It is black backed and union stamped. ( hard to see) I will have to ask Andy if his is also. Now comes years of collecting knowledge Wes Westrum so far I think Im the only one who has one and that will and can change size 2 1/8 union stamp No. Is it era real Absolutely! Why, other known 2 1/8 pins made in the same style just like this one.. Another Don Muller 1 3/4 inch in size union stamp No. Era real Absolutely! Why, others made in a similar style and also the back of the pin in construction is very consistent with era pins. Now here is era correct and not era correct( Pics) Roger Maris Salute pin. Home run chase in 1961 Both pins are real But only one is era correct.. The pin known as the "Pink box" version is rare but is era correct. The #1 is in pink. The second one Is it real? Yes .. Is it era correct No. Made 20 + years later. There are differences no pink number in the box, Different photo of Maris on the front. all the rest is the same... Pin is 3 1/4 inch in both cases BUT other than the front its the back that is the give away.. Real looks like a bottom of a coffee can the other is usually bright and shiny ( unless its been aged by other means) If you ebay that pin the much later version can be found for upwards of 300+ dollars. Worth about 50... Now fakes real fakes! Here is a Mickey Mantle Theresa brewer pin. Made in the 50s.. I have never seen a real one without the union logo on the back. Size 1 3/4 inch. Is the pin real Absolutely, has the pin been faked absolutely . There are good fakes and bad fakes ( bad fakes all red letters on front) then there are good fakes.. BUT no union logo on back and the small piece of the bat doesnt go around the curl of the pin to the back! (Pics) . Styles also change as to pin back construction. Here are some phillies pins are they era correct Absolutely. Are the backs made differently Absolutely. Same fronts but different style pins used. 2 have straight pins or spring pins the other 2 have what is known as Bayonette style pins. Bottom line is you really have to have collected these pins for a long time to gain knowledge as to what is really out there. I could keep going but will stop here for now!
Hey Al -

In this case, all but the bottom left 3 are what I call "parking lot pins"...i.e. sold, without licensing outside of Candlestick Park. They are hard to find, but not exceptionally so. There is only one more player pin I know of, but there could be more. I was wondering, do you consider these "real"? They are definitely period correct (1990-93). Will they have value in 50 years as "real" pins?
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 2020-03-15 02.57.32.jpg (83.2 KB, 606 views)