View Single Post
Old 04-04-2020, 03:02 PM
M@rk S@tterstr0m

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dpeck100 View Post
It is amazing there was a stock market crash in 87 and because my parents didn't own stocks it was like nothing happened. Every penny I earned from mowing yards went to the 87 baseball cards. A year and a half later the market was at new highs. Incredible the obstacles this country has been through.
Your 1987 cards probably plummeted far worse than the stock market.

It's really tough to know what to do, financially. Everyone thought gold and other precious metals were the best hedge in a national crisis, but they are down now, too. Silver dropped from 18.00 an ounce to below 12.00 (briefly.)

I've always believed in quality, single family rental homes, but you need a cash set-aside, for stretches where the renters can't pay the rent, and unexpected maintenance.

And once this crisis is over, I'll be making a habit of getting a few extra bottles of shampoo, bars of soap, toothpaste, and yes, TP when I do my general shopping, to build up a nice supply.

As to cards..... they aren't a necessity, unlike rental property (people need to live somewhere,) so I think prices will come down a bit but not bottom out. Some will sell for liquidity concerns, but many will not be too impacted by the crisis and will feel little pressure to sell.