View Single Post
Old 04-07-2020, 12:00 PM
Belltown Vintage

Our local Safeway is busier than usual, all day. People are all over each other, just like normal, almost no masks among shoppers and zero employees wearing masks. They closed the self-check stations and there are markers every six feet at the register lines, but the checkers aren't wearing masks or gloves.

I got tired of the ridiculous behavior at Safeway, so the last time out I went to a more upscale place. ALL store employees wore masks, as did about 75% of the shoppers, and there were not loads of shoppers. Different neighborhood, different behavior. In the lower income areas there is less adherence to the Governor's 'stay at home order'. This virus treats everyone equally, but if you go seek it out, it's more likely to give you the treatment.

Outdoors, I have never seen this many people walking around the neighborhood and I hear, like the poster above, the trailheads are packed, which is why I haven't been to any of the trails. A group of people gather at the intersection a block away, about once a week, music blaring. Some wear masks, some don't. We have only had two people die in Tacoma from COVID-19, so the young people really don't care. There is no police presence in Tacoma and our Mayor appears to be a deaf mute.

I had to spend a day in downtown Seattle last week, and it's a different attitude there. There are only 7 people in my Belltown zip who have tested positive, and that's out of around 20,000 residents. People are walking their dogs and some of the homeless are out, but that's mostly it. No one milling about, few joggers. You might consider this a bad thing, but you can either believe what the medical experts are saying, or you can rationalize it away to suit your immediate pleasure needs.

Tomorrow will be four weeks for me, and I'm finding I like it. Saving a lot of money and eating better than ever AND losing a little weight. The biggest problem is no more income, but I got an SBA disaster loan. If you are a small business, DO IT. it's easy once you get the initial application in, as they are stream-lining everything because of the huge demand. Mine just about equals the amount of income I'll lose through July.