View Single Post
Old 04-26-2020, 10:21 AM
The Uber Anal Retentive Freak

Quote:
Originally Posted by ooo-ribay View Post
I'd love to hear Mark's, Greg's, Jason's, Kyle's, etc. thoughts on why Giants and Dodgers pennants are not all that similar, given the teams' geographical proximity.
Not sure. But are they less similar than, say, Phillies and Yankees?

If we focus on (what I think is) Trench ... pre-1958 both had stadium pennants, one pictured below. I will say a full size Polo Grounds pennant is hard to come by - harder than Ebbets. The Giants version of the Emmet Kelly pennant just had a baseball graphic.

After the move, Trench uses the bum in the Coliseum ... one of my very favorites is the “New Home” pennant. The Mullin Giant is moved to the GG Bridge. Not Seals Stadium or Candlestick. Scroll pennants exist for the Dodgers but I think non-existent for the Giants. The Giants have a pennant with scattered names like the ‘63 Yankees. The one stadium pennant I’ve seen (from your collection) with the batter does look a little different from others, as if it was a different maker. Kind of like how the Mets Shea pennants look different. Nice - but different.

As for the other makers ... no idea. I think it’s much weirder that of all teams, only two do not have a stadium pennant. Phillies (why???) and Senators. Giants and Mets do, may or may not be same maker. I think every other team has ‘em.

How about the team picture pennants? Some teams have them with that extra banner that fits in slots. Others don’t. Some teams have no team pic pennant. Have never seen a Giants, Braves, Cubs or Red Sox. (Not like the common style that is.) Same with Mets, except for ‘69 and I think ‘63 that had a picture stapled on.

I think whenever we hold our first “Hey, pennant guys” convention we need as a keynote speaker someone who worked for Trench so he could explain all these mysteries ...

EDIT: Now I see a Giants scroll pennant ... not a traditional scroll though
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 97D47336-0B0A-4760-8082-99809A9BA695.jpg (21.0 KB, 284 views)

Last edited by thetahat; 04-26-2020 at 11:23 AM.