Thread: New SGC updates
View Single Post
Old 06-12-2020, 05:16 AM
Ron Kornacki - Uncle Nacki

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigfish View Post
This is a little dramatic don’t you think? I don’t look at the pop charts and am sure you have great points. Why not reach out to sgc ownership and let them know you’re concerns vs airing a laundry list of grievances on a chat board. I think you should go ahead and cross all you’re cards to psa. Good luck with that. They are a dumpster fire.

I believe I have Dave’s contact info in you want to pm me. He’s pretty accessible.

Happy collecting

Toby Petersen
I don't think Ryan is at all being dramatic. The registry and population report is very important to many competitive collectors. There are SGC employees that see these types of posts and it's probably a quicker way of setting a fire under their feet, than talking to a random customer service person that is trying to make you happy enough to just get you off the phone and your complaints get tossed into a random pile and probably never followed up on because they know there's so many other things that are more important to do.

A few years ago, their registry and population report were operational and not extremely terrible but they decided to basically freeze it for a long time. I don't know the exact length of time but it seemed like it was around 2 years. Just by them freezing that information, caused many to question their loyalty with SGC. But they made a fancy futuristic web page saying the wait would be so worth it. It made you feel like, wow, finally this area will be given the respect it deserves. And then it goes live and it only partially works. Absolutely nothing futuristic about anything. The population report just had a different layout that pulled information from the same database files as before. And there were errors in the code for the queries causing duplicate information to be retrieved and listed. So the first mistake was freezing the original website years ago. There was no reason it couldn't be updated daily with new graded submissions while a new version of the website was created. The second mistake is not making a second mirrored website but one that's only accessible to the developers. Also by doing this, new code can be tested in real time before it gets released to the general public. These few things are very simple. I do these types of things all the time when I'm upgrading or designing something new. And I'm nothing, a nobody that fools around with my own websites. So when I see the outcome of their website, I just shake my head and wonder what the hell happened. Did they hire some company to do the upgrades and then continued to get the runarounds? Did they have some of these people that completed college courses for database design but then when they actually were put in front of an actual large scale database, they realized that they learned nothing? I'm not really sure what exactly happened and hope they really didn't think nobody would notice that very little was changed. I really hope nobody over there is celebrating this new website. I do hope going forward that some mistakes are not repeated. And just one more thing.. If the original site was stopped so resources could be shifted to the new project, then I'd say it's time to scrap your whole layout. 95% of the website should run on it's own automatically. Once the website gives the worker a new serial number, they choose from the dropdown menus the sport, the year, and the set name. They type in the player name and card number if any, and then assign the grade. Then hit the enter key. If the website is designed properly, that's it. That information is automatically shared and added to the population reports and the registry sets. Adding a step for high resolution scans is not a big deal either. I'm not trying to pick on SGC but hopefully this is looked at as constructive criticism. Basically learn from your mistakes. Don't make the same mistakes again. Let the computer do what it was designed to do. The total ebay website is capable of being run by two people. I'd say one but that person will need to sleep sometimes.

I'm a PSA guy but I was really excited when the SGC website said something new was coming. I use the website a lot for reference. Plus company competition is good for business. If you don't have to compete with your competitor, then you will never grow or improve your business. So by this, PSA doesn't have to do anything drastic. I requested a couple sets for their registry and they responded that they were already in their "plan to do" list. I then reached out to them explaining my background and offered to help for free. They responded with a note that they had everything under control. That was over 5 years ago and neither set has been added. So by me being an active set registry user, that really puts me in a negative place. So a couple years later when SGC said something new was coming, I thought, well if PSA isn't capable of adding a couple sets, maybe SGC would be. Well, there's absolutely no point in me asking at this point.

T206 Master Monster Front/Back Set Collector - www.youtube.com/unclenacki
T206 Basic "The Monster" Set 514/524
T206 Advanced "Master Monster" Front/Back Set ????/5258
COMPLETE T206 BACK SUBSETS
Old Mill Southern Leagues - Black Ink 48/48
Sweet Caporal 350-460 Factory 30 Full Color "No Prints" 28/28
NEAR COMPLETE T206 BACK SUBSETS
Polar Bear 245/250
Sovereign 460 50/52
Sweet Caporal 150 Factory 649 Overprint 31/34
Piedmont 350 "Elite 11" 9/11