View Single Post
Old 06-21-2020, 04:56 PM
M@RK ST€!NBERG

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tere1071 View Post
With my 53 Bowman set I have been assembling I began with cards in vg to vg/ex condition and at first there weren't any problems. As I got to the last few I needed to finish the set I began to receive cards that had wrinkles and in one case paper loss on the back that wasn't mentioned in the description. I previously mentioned a 53 Berra that was listed as a PSA 4; the card looked nice but up close there were several wrinkles at the top left corner. I wanted to like the card, but I finally decided to send it back and search for another in excellent condition, instead.

I've learned that a number of sellers are very "liberal" in their grading. There's also a certain amount of laziness when a seller depends solely on the posted image of a card, rather than giving some explanation as to its appearance. For the rest of my upgrades, I am going to purchase cards in excellent condition that I can clearly see and receive answers if needed before I make a purchase.

I need the following upgrades in Excellent condition: Williams, Rizzuto, Wilson, Stanky, Marion, Cain, Nuxhall, Pierce, Hodges, Spahn, Easter, Rush, Drews, Boyer, Mitchell, Berra, Michaels, A. Clark and Abrams.
I'm with you all the way on this...

So frustrating, and seems like 95% of eBay sellers now just rely completely on the scan or the PSA/SGC Grade as the full description, without writing a single thing about the actual card. Very lazy, IMHO...

Their scans rarely show surface wrinkles, and to just say "PSA 3" or "PSA 4" tells you nothing. There are tons of 3s and 4s that are crease-free and just have some honest corner wear. But you'll never know unless the seller takes the obligatory 10 seconds to say so.

That said... I am having an impossible time finding a mid-grade '56 Clemente. The PSA 5s are all way overpriced, and the 4s might or might not have "mystery creases" that you can't see on a screen. Ideally, I'd like to nail down a crease-free example with VG or better corners. You'd think one would be readily available, but the work involved is simply not worth it!