View Single Post
Old 06-25-2020, 03:35 PM
Gr.eg McCl.@y

One of the easier old Topps sets to put together. Lot of HOF rookies, but they are fairly cheap.

Throw out the price guide, Brooks Robinson will cost more than the Mantle (may not be the case if you only buy 4 sharp corners), it's a popular rookie and in the tough series. The mid series also has Richardson, Kubek, Bunning, and Koufax. Unless you are a Yankee fan, Richardson and Kubek can be annoying to pay up for.

The short printed 3rd series is not that difficult though, much more available than many other Topps short printed series. 407 cards is not that many for Topps and most commons are acquired cheaply.

There are no 'true variations' to pursue, just a ton of recurring print defects and color toning changes that seem to be the result of Topps experimenting with color photos for the first time. The Checklist other than the first 2 series suck to pay for, but aren't numbered and many exclude.

It's a fun set. The first I finished in my 1951-1972 Topps run was the 71's and the 57's. Big step down in quality from 1952-1956, but still a cool set that I frequently take out and enjoy with some great photos.