View Single Post
Old 08-16-2020, 04:10 PM
Mic.hael Mu.mby

Default 1950s dealers

Conrad Anderson put small advertisements in Baseball Digest, this would have been in the late 1950s. George Husby, too. I believe I found ADCO Sports Book Exchange thru the Street & Smith baseball yearbooks; that was Goody Goldfadden. There were a couple of publications, but you would subscribe and just hope they would show up. Think essence of mimeograph machine. The Sport Hobbyist was probably the best looking hobby magazine at that time. Otherwise, I would have never been involved in collecting other than the cards I bought at the dime store.

I bought a handful of paper items from Goldfadden as a kid (thru the mail), but no cards. He was professional. I remember he accepted payment in British Sterling as well as US dollars.

John Stommen of SCD had an opportunity to buy Goldfadden's inventory; he decided to pass. Let me paraphrase John Stommen, "I was afraid that after I bought his store [which was just massive], he would be back in business a month later with even more stuff to sell."
lumberjack