View Single Post
Old 03-15-2021, 01:01 PM
Gary

Quote:
Originally Posted by brian1961 View Post
Hello, Gary. Nice post from our "resident" London mate. I began becoming aware of baseball and collecting cards of the players in 1961. Roger Maris became a hero of mine that year, and I've never thrust him aside as a hero. I fully agree with you, Gary; Roger Maris belongs in the Baseball Hall of Fame. The arguments against him are compelling, while some are immature. I won't discredit anyone else's admission to the BBHOF. I for one believe one outstanding season should carry more weight than what it does. Had Rog hit 59, we wouldn't be talking about the matter.

Really? What a hollow argument.

The fact Mr. Maris broke the record in more games than the Babe has been de-bunked sufficiently. The fact that it was an expansion year is true, yet the opportunity for record numbers was out there for every player, but only Roger Maris was able to break baseball's most revered single-season record. The man did this under some of the most trying, stressful, and discouraging conditions. How he held up is anyone's guess, but his devotion to his family, his team, and his personal drive to do his dead level best every game, no matter what the press threw at him, is the height of courage.

They call it a hall of fame. Roger Maris earned more fame than half the enshrinees in that one season. Same with Gil Hodges managing the Amazing Mets of 1969, and yet he's not in, either. Same with Bobby Thomson's Shot Heard Round the World magical one-game moment, but it wasn't enough to elect him. Granted, where would Hack Wilson, Dizzy Dean, and Big Ed Walsh be without their Mount Everest years? So? That's irrelevant; their career year made such a huge impression on the voters that they enshrined them, whether while they were alive or almost forgotten.

The guys who vote players in nowadays demand big numbers from a couple decades, with lots of rings, or lots of league leaderships. I'm not saying they're entirely wrong, but I'm with you, Gary; when a player plays his heart out trying to bust the Babe's "sacred" record of 60 homers in a season, AND DOES IT, it sure as anything says a lot about the people involved with the sport and its fans that that man doesn't deserve to be in the BBHOF.

As our Exhibit expert said, collectors have priced him as a Hall of Famer, 'cause a bunch of us, including me, value Roger Maris as a Hall of Famer.

Back to the OP question. No, Gary, I don't think the BBHOF Veterans Committee will elect Roger Maris. I'll be mighty pleased if they do, and scream, "Well, it's about time!!!!!" However, given the value system of today, and the fact that ball-less MLB has never addressed the matter of the records of players who achieved moon-shot record years due to their shooting up with steroids, I guess Roger's memory will continue to be cherished by his devoted fans who will have their rich patina plaques of Roger Maris entrenched in their hearts and minds until they die.

That's my nickel pack's worth. Keep enjoying Roger Maris cardboard, Gary!

--- Brian Powell
Thanks Brian. I agree with everything you said.

To add something a little different, rather than a card, here's a photo of a 1960 Maris Hartland Statue.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 20210315_185712.jpg (69.2 KB, 242 views)