View Single Post
Old 03-16-2021, 05:27 PM
Ch@d

Borders vary widely in my experience. Some are almost white, while some are quite yellowed. Honestly, the best luck I've had in the past is with looking at the black of the SGC slab. Sometimes its greenish, and often those cards end up looking better in person than in the listing. Any tone or brightness of the black area can indicate similar variations on the card itself.

There may be much to be learned by the red of the PSA label, which should be pretty standardized, but I don't have enough experience there to make any conclusions.

The tough part is that scanners (and cameras) vary widely, and there are big differences in the output of one to another. I agree that asking for additional scans under different light is a good idea. Then again, some sellers don't even take the time to list a description of a 5 figure card!
successful deals with hcv123, rholmes, robw1959, Yankees1964, theuclakid, Brian Van Horn, h2oya311, thecapeleague, Gkoz316, chesbro41, edjs, wazoo, becollie, t206kid, vintageismygame, Neal, bradmar48, iconsportscards, wrapperguy, agrebene, T3fan, T3s, ccre, Leon, wolf441, cammb, tonyo, markf31,gonzo,scmavl & others

currently working on:
E101 (33/50)
T3 set (104/104), complete!
T205 set (108/221)
'33 Goudey
collecting W600s, Walter Johnson