View Single Post
Old 06-29-2021, 10:52 AM

Default North American market

Quote:
Originally Posted by Huysmans View Post
Fair enough.... but where did the market suddenly come from??

Baseball and other sport cards have been collected primarily in Canada and the US for well over a century, with most male youths exposed to varying degrees at some point. This has allowed "the market" to grow and prosper, with valuation following once demand was created.

There has never been a LARGE market outside North America for sports cards, but all of sudden, countries with absolutely zero history of collecting cards, and people that have never been exposed are feverishly collecting out of thin air? In large numbers?? Really??

What history of collecting is there for soccer or NASCAR cards that people are currently spending huge sums of money on them? They went from almost no value to priceless overnight??
It makes no sense, hence it's NOT primarily collectors, but those just trying to make money off the hobby buying these and inflating the values.... nothing more.
The market for baseball cards might be limited to North America and Japan but for sports like basketball where there is a huge global market and hockey, which has a huge European market it is different. Soccer would attract all collecting markets. Not just North America.

Personally, I don't think the Hamm card is ultimately that rare (I believe S.I. circulation is around 950,000) and as mentioned PSA grading of S.I. for kids is even more inconsistent than their general grading. So that particular price seems way out of line. But women's sports and interest in women's sports is taking off.

The supply for RC's of future HOFers and all-time greats like Diana Taurasi, Sue Bird, Breanna Stewart, Megan Rapinoe, Serena Williams, Flo-Jo, Simone Biles etc. is very limited compared to what the demand ultimately could end up being.