View Single Post
Old 07-01-2021, 09:58 PM
Bob C.

Default Jackson's Testimony

Thomas and Jay,

You are both right as to why Jackson would testify as to taking the money and then probably deny throwing games, does put him in the best light possible. I amend my thinking based on your comments. Still,you can't argue that Jackson had outstanding stats in the 1919 WS and 1920 season which make it very hard to really prove or believe he was lying about it. Plus it seems when there is the testimony and stories about who supposedly did what questionable things to throw games, it usually seems to be someone other than Jackson. And as Thomas mentioned in an earlier post, even Comiskey seemed to have some faith in Jackson, as evidenced by not bothering to have him watched by private detectives during the 1920 season.

I really think Jackson got sucked into this by teammates who were likely pressured by Rothstein and his gambling cronies to bring Jackson in on the fix so they were assured it would work. I can see Gandil, Cicotte and whomever, being told that they had to have Jackson in on this or else no one would get any money. And if that is the case, then Jackson was caught in a no-win situation. Of course you can point to his teammates, Collins and Schalk especially, who were not in the fix and wonder why him. I don't know the answer, but did Collins and Schalk really not have direct knowledge of the fix and only surmised what was going on initially, or did either of them get asked to join in and they simply refused? Thanks.

Last edited by BobC; 07-01-2021 at 09:58 PM.