View Single Post
Old 08-20-2021, 10:55 AM
Tim Odeen

Quote:
Originally Posted by Northviewcats View Post
Enjoyed reading your post, Rick. If we spend to much time worrying about the future we forget how blessed we are today. Hope your have a wonderful time with your grandsons at the Dells.

Best regards,

Joe
Quote:
Originally Posted by BobC View Post
Oh I agree, but look at how these younger people, and the influx of flippers and investors with all of their new money, are already making big changes to the hobby. For example, NFT's look likw the new big thing coming along, yet for the life of me I could never see wanting to own one, especially not at what people are already paying for them. Heck, I can't afford any of them. Yet you watch them keep pushing them, especially to the younger generation. And the majority of new cards are already being sold online anyway, yet sales of sports cards seem stronger than ever. At least for the forseeable future we should still have cards shows and card shops to still go find cards in the wild, especially vintage and pre-war, at least on a secondary market basis. So that should be good for some time going forward at least. It is with the new, modern card market where I think the biggest changes to the hobby may come, at least initially.

I'm with you and like to actually be able to hold, touch, see, and even smell the cards, but we're more old school collectors. Now it is all about the internet, social media, and so on. The younger collectors are going to change things whether we like it or not. Only time will tell how much though.
I'm 35, all this talk about youngsters controlling the hobby makes me feel really old!

Anyway, totally agree that all of these changes have had little impact on my collecting preferences. I am eclectic in my choices and I don't use TPG, I don't collect modern rainbows, the players I collect have mostly retired, I have started buying SGA team sets, and MiLB team sets, and I collect more memorabilia than cards.

It's all water under the bridge for me except for Jonathan India. I like his swagger. Waiting for Topps Update to drop to grab his RC.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G930A using Tapatalk
Successful deals with: Banksfan14, Brianp-beme, Bumpus Jones, Dacubfan (x5), Dstrawberryfan39, Ed_Hutchinson, Fballguy, fusorcruiser (x2), GoCalBears, Gorditadog, Luke, MikeKam, Moosedog, Nineunder71, Powdered H20, PSU, Ronniehatesjazz, Roarfrom34, Sebie43, Seven, and Wondo