View Single Post
Old 08-30-2021, 03:02 PM
Steve

Default No PVC

Quote:
Originally Posted by steve B View Post
Mylar sleeves are the archival standard. I don't recall just how long they're expected to last, but it's a very long time. Like several lifetimes long.

The newer soft sleeves are probably polypropylene , which is also excellent.
Card savers may also be polypropylene, just a thicker stock.

Older soft sleeves that aren't as clear are probably polyethylene. It's ok, but lacks clarity.

Most of my early pages were vinyl, and have lost some flexibility, or have gotten stuck together. But fortunately didn't damage the cards at the point I removed them. Some are still ok, and I still have cards in them.
I concur, Steve. The Cardboard Gold website (maker) doesn't seem to state specifically the type of plastic used in Card Savers, but it would appear to be polypropylene.
I'll never forget some of the first cards I purchased as I started recollecting back in the '70's: bought a lot of 1954 Johnston Cookie cards from a very reputable dealer online, and when I opened the mailer, the unmistakable stench of cheap PVC was overwhelming. The cards were not in PVC, but had obviously been stored in it at some point, so I guess the dealer was kind of nose blind.