View Single Post
Old 09-29-2021, 07:49 AM
John

I've heard that Feller could be rather short with folks, however, that was not my experience with meeting him. When I was in high school my grandparents took me on a trip to Cooperstown. We didn't realize it was induction weekend until we got there. I think it was 1990 but it might have been 1989, can't remember now.

We hit the museum and I managed to talk my way into a few card shops. Well, we walked into one small shop and who is in there but Rapid Rob himself signing autographs. My grandparents and I chatted with him for a few minutes. He was very nice. We are shirt tail relations to Dick Wakefield, and asked if he remembered him. He smiled and was like of course he remembered him.

My other grandma used to go down to Tucson every winter to snowbird for a few months. I was very close to her. She met Feller at some function and got his autograph for me. I had it in a scrapbook for a long time and recently reorganized my autographs into new binders. When I pulled the autograph out and looked at the back of it for the first time in probably 30 years, I discovered a note from my grandmother. She's been gone for a long time, so it was quite a moment to see her beautiful cursive writing for the first time in a long time.

John

Successful Transactions with: KMayUSA6060, Jacklitsch, philliesfan, JimmyC