View Single Post
Old 10-08-2021, 02:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by frankbmd View Post
Good Lord,

If the Yankees and the Dodgers did not perennially have the two highest team salaries, perhaps I would think twice about claiming that they buy championships. (I also like to see the big spenders lose, I'm not a Laker fan either)

As far as the Rays are concerned, the first time they reached the big show (aka WS) I think their team salary was between 1/4 and 1/3 of the league's highest. Someone will provide the specifics if you doubt that. They also play in a tin foil dome with a slanted roof. Have you been there, I have. Winning a championship or even coming in second is much more of an accomplishment than going out and buying Stanton and Cole and then bitch about not winning a championship. Go Rays, and I would add the Brewers for many of the same reasons. There is a big difference between wanting to emulate a small market team and admiring them.

Another post suggested that we were dissing New York as a city. I would object to that assessment, because I'm sure there are several million New Yorkers who don't give a dam about sports, and more than a few are probably fine people, whether the Yankees win or lose.

There is no accomplishment if you don't win. Nobody in the world says at least we got to play. Also, your perception of salaries doesn't take into account what it costs to keep a player you drafted on your team. If that's what you mean by "buying" championships, I guess you live in a different world where money isn't as important to you. The Yankees pay their players. That's why so many of them retire as a Yankee. That is not what I assume most people mean when they say "buying" championships. I associated that with the mentality of never drafting well and relying on free agents, which isn't the Yankees MO at all.