View Single Post
Old 11-04-2021, 04:24 PM
Travis
Tra,vis Tr,ail

It's not useless, but it's also definitely not ideal. I think the pricepoint is way off though for the value add this brings. If I were them, I would probably do away with sending out self slabs or something like that, which surely adds a lot to the cost, and instead send out digital images of the card with their grades on top or something like that. Then you can use that image in your listings. It's basically like a digital graded card review to me. But as an actual slab? I just think that's a mistake. They could probably cut the price point in half if they just kept everything digital.

The real issue though is similar to many of my critiques in the other thread about AI grading. There's just too many flaws that can't be captured in a scan. Surface issues rarely show up in scans, especially with modern glossy cards, and even significant creases/wrinkles can be hidden. Sure, you can see corners and centering, and fair portion of edge issues, but they're just going to become a magnet for people trying to sell cards with surface flaws because they'll get gem mint grades on cards that PSA would give 7s and 8s or even 3s in some cases. That's a big problem for them, and it won't take long for the community to catch on to this.

However, as I mentioned above, it's not entirely useless. I'd rather have their opinion than that of some random guy on eBay, but I'd also trust my own eyes than theirs anyhow. I'm pretty well tuned to how PSA and SGC are going to grade a card, so I don't have much use for them. But as a competitor to the other TPGs? No, not a chance. But as a different type of service that some people find value in? Perhaps.