View Single Post
Old 01-13-2022, 08:47 AM
Bill Cauley

Quote:
Originally Posted by BobC View Post
Bill,

I don't necessarily think it has to do with one group being or thinking they're better than another, at least it doesn't for me, but has more to do with how people view the hobby and the influence it ends up having on exactly what/how they collect.

With the recent price surges in cards, even a "true collector" now at least maybe has to start looking at the increasing value of their collection with an eye towards treating it as a type of investment after all. If for nothing more than to maybe plan what is to become of it when left to a surviving spouse, or other heirs.

I don't look down or feel superior to investors bidding on cards I need and want. I just hate them for running the prices up and outbidding me on seemingly everything I'm going after.
Yeah, I get that and totally understand. My reaction to the term stems from random people here and there I've seen comment on different venues of social media.

I totally get the cost frustration as well. It's definitely slowed me down in regards to buying cards. My goal coming back into the hobby about two years ago was to focus on HoFers from random sets but that's been put on the back burner for now. For a cheaper alternative, I think I'm going to go back and re-start a project I started about 10 years ago but never got really far as I left the hobby and sold everything off. The project being picking up a card of each professional baseball player that ever served in the military. Some HoFers in there but plenty of cards I can pick up on the cheap end and keep me busy until, hopefully, some stuff starts coming back down.