View Single Post
Old 01-14-2022, 02:06 PM
The Uber Anal Retentive Freak

Gotta share this story …

So I’ve been calming down as far as purchases, essentially buying only if it is “wall worthy”. (LOL). Heritage Auctions has a process where, for certain items, you can offer to purchase what another person won in prior auctions. Most are overpriced but I did once get a good deal on some pennants that went cheap and the owner didn’t want them anymore.

I noticed a 1951 Trench Indians scroll pennant. These are my favorites. And I’d never seen this before. Trench made a few for 1949-50 and selected scrolls for championship teams (as you know). But there’s nothing notable about the ‘51 Indians. Still a cool pennant, maybe the earliest stadium pennant, and I like how the Chief is still wearing the crown three years after the fact. Note that they left room along the bottom edge to add on “champions” notation should they win the pennant (but they finished second, 5 games out.)

I’ll add here, I have seen this with the tip cut off, into a forked design. As if to get rid of the year and sell them after ‘51. But never saw one fully intact.

The pennant was part of a large collection of items, however. From a Red Ruffing private collection. The pennant was probably just an add-on, there were medals, gave used bat, signed letter from President Reagan, etc. The lot sold for over $3K and any offer would have to exceed $4K. But I only want the darn pennant. I asked Heritage, can I make an offer to the owner on one item in the lot? (No.) Okay, can you please give the owner my email and notify him that I am interested in the pennant? I’ll even pay a commission fee. (No.) So that’s that. Kinda lame but what are ya gonna do.

The next day … this shows up on eBay and I got it at a great price. The second one I’ve ever seen (different color). What a coincidence!
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 1BB153DE-74E2-4F7E-A709-DD51D81B2C70.jpg (19.9 KB, 197 views)

Last edited by thetahat; 01-14-2022 at 02:11 PM.