View Single Post
Old 02-08-2022, 08:45 AM
Ste.ve Na.polit.ano

Hype machine on this kid has been off the charts for a while. "The Martian"

May turn out to be a very nice player. May not. Mets had a five tool phenom a few years ago Fernando Martinez who was supposed to the second coming of Willie Mays. Didn't work out too well. Sure fans of other teams can easily pull up their own examples.

What doesn't make sense to me about this is Juan Soto has turned into an amazing player. Has established himself as a bona fide superstar. Would his 1/1/ refractor today sell for this much? I guess maybe. How much could this card really appreciate. If he turns into the next Mickey Mantle in two years is this going to be worth more than a Honus Wagner card all of a sudden? Just don't understand the investment thesis here. And it's an investment nothing else. Whoever paid this likely has never see the kid take a swing.

Quote:
Originally Posted by cgjackson222 View Post
Wow, as the article says, Jasson Dominguez, who turned 19 yesterday, enters the 2022 season ranked 87 on Baseball America‘s list of Top 100 Prospects. The centerfielder’s minor league line in 2021 includes a .252 batting average, five home runs and 19 RBI in 56 games between rookie ball and Low-A.

I guess the Yankees are pretty high on him, having signed him for $5.1M as a 16 year old:
https://www.si.com/mlb/yankees/news/tampa-tarpons-manager-rachel-balkovec-praises-new-york-yankees-prospect-jasson-dominguez#:~:text=But%20the%20Yankees'%20new%20Low ,he's%20doing%20behind%20the%20scenes.&text=Fair%20or%20not%2C%20the%20spotlight,%2Dyear% 2Dold%20in%202019.