View Single Post
Old 03-07-2022, 12:43 AM
Bob C.

Quote:
Originally Posted by RCMcKenzie View Post
Bob, I'm watching the Baylor v LSU game right now on my local Astros network, 7-5 Baylor in the 7th. As the PGA used to say, "These guys are good." NCAA top 25 baseball is good baseball, much better than the KBL. I noticed the MLB channel originally had this game scheduled for broadcast, but it is blacked-out for old re-runs. I guess Sherzer is thinking what I'm thinking, and called the network to call it off, before anyone gets any ideas.

I think we agree that the monopoly is antiquated and should be removed by congress. I'd rather watch Correa play shortstop, but I can live with watching these NCAA guys who play for free plus a major college education for free. The 1915 guys were welders and carpenters, regular blue-collar guys, who truly deserved better.
Rob, I'm with you. And don't forget, guys playing in college today are often the pro athletes of tomorrow. LOL You could be watching the next Scherzer and Trout in that college game for all you know.

Actually, when it comes to pro sports of any kind, I've often wondered why we as the public and fans put up with private ownership of teams. Think about it, at no other level from when we're growing up and going to junior high, then high school, and finally college, nobody privately owns and profits from pee wee, little league, pony league, high school and college teams. But suddenly after college it all becomes privately owned. Yet people grow up with and develop huge allegiances to their teams, only to see them sometimes just taken and moved away by greedy owners and leagues. But teams aren't just known as the Yankees or Dodgers, they're known as the New York Yankees, or Los Angeles Dodgers, and are closely identified and tied to that city/region and their people/fans. Such moves can have a terrible economic effect and impact on cities and businesses when they do move on, along with emotional effect on the fan base. And most stadiums, arenas, and so on are built and/or subsidized with taxpayer dollars. So why shouldn't these pro teams be operated by the cities/regions and not by private owners? I'm waiting for when the next time some pro team tries to move, and in response the people and city file an eminent domain proceeding against that pro team, and take it over to keep it going for the economic benefit of the city/region, as well as for the feelings of the team's fans. Will likely never happen, but just think if pro teams did become municipally controlled and operated how much fun it might be if the people got to vote on who the next manager or head coach might be. If nothing else, I'll bet you'd see the biggest turn outs ever seen at the polls. LOL