View Single Post
Old 03-13-2022, 08:56 PM
Hank Thomas

Quote:
Originally Posted by martyesullivan View Post
Jeff and Scott, thank you. I appreciate the kind words. Hank, sure, there are lots of great stories, that’s why I’m writing the book. There are 4 cards that no one I’ve ever talked to has seen signed copies of: Fred Brickell, Pete Scott, Russell Rollings, and Dan Howley. That said, it is rumored that a guy named Pat Quinn from Illinois had a complete signed set in the late 1970’s. His Lajoie was the only known signed example and it’s now in the collection of the Hall of Fame in Cooperstown. I hope that story is true, and I sure hope signed copies of those four cards show up one day. As for guys that died early, these are the first three deaths in the set: Earl Clark died in 1938, Heathcote died in 1939, and Welch died in 1940; I have all three of those signed…fortunately. I have several signed cards from the set that are the only known example.
Great stuff, Marty, thanks. My buddy Kevin Keating, now at PSA, grew up in Chicago and Pat Quinn was his mentor in the hobby, starting at a very young age. I heard that name often over the years. You might ask him if he knows anything about Quinn having a complete signed set.