View Single Post
Old 03-20-2022, 04:24 PM
Hank Thomas

Default Fascinating discussion

A nifty piece of research would be to list the dates that known Wagners came to be known. If it's been a serious trickle for a while, like one per decade the last few decades, I doubt many more will be coming out, maybe a handful over the next fifty to a hundred years, one or two more in the next five hundred years, and that will be that. And what about ones realistically rumored to be known but never surfaced publicly, is there any accounting of those? I can remember one of the Michalowitz (sp?) brothers--Joe, maybe?--introducing himself to me at a show around D.C. I was set up at sometime in the 90s, and we got to talking about his Wagner, and he said casually, "My brother has two of them." He invited me to come down to Petersburg, Virginia, to see their collections, but I never got around to it. I did verify, though, through serious old-time collector friends, that they were the real deal. I've probably gotten some of the details wrong in my slipping memory, and perhaps the existence and disposition of their cards is well known to the hobby, but it does make me wonder where anecdotal evidence of the existence of Wagners and other uber-rare cards might fit into this discussion.