View Single Post
Old 04-04-2022, 12:52 AM
Bob Davies

Quote:
Originally Posted by x2drich2000 View Post
I think your assumption that 10% bid increments is the standard is flawed. Yes there are a few AH's that use the 10% increment, but a lot use a flat bid increment at different intervals such as REA, LOTG, H&S, and Goldin. Honestly, I would be less inclined to consign to an AH with a 10% increase as the variance between bids makes it so that a lot can easily be undervalued at one bid, but the next bid is significantly overvalued. I know with AH's that have the 10% increment I will place bids early to get the sweet spot bid that is undervalued.
Quote:
Originally Posted by BobC View Post
The OP started this same thread, with the exact same opening post, in the post-war up to 1980 forum. Check it out as I believe the thinking over there is that smaller bid increments are likely better for consignors in the long run, not worse.
+1

Could not agree more with this. 10% increments leave too large a gap between bids. There can indeed be a "sweet spot" where the low bid is too low and the high bid is too high. IMO consignors lose.