View Single Post
Old 04-10-2022, 04:03 PM
Andrew Hunt00n

Well, you know me Phil; I'd take a different approach to spending $50K in six months than just about everyone else who has posted so far.

First I would finish my E98 set with the Cobb, Wagner and Young (and it would still pain me to spend Cy Young money on an Irv Young card!). Then I would buy all the big cards I need for my post war sets (Mantles that I'm missing, Ryan RC, Seaver RC, etc.). Then as many decent prewar cards as I could get that I think are cool (T206 Johnson portrait and Mathewson portrait; E-Unc Blue Caption Wagner; E90-1 Speaker; any of the Jersey City cards I still need and maybe upgrade a few of the ones I already have; Horizontal cards (1909 Obaks and E cards); etc.)

I'd amass a bunch of stuff that brings me joy instead of dropping it all on 3-5 cards that will go up in value in the future. I enjoy the cards more than the values. Many of the cards I mentioned are fairly expensive cards, but I could get a lot of them for $50K.

Anyway, that's my take on this experiment. Cool idea for a thread by the way. I'm enjoying reading everyone's responses.

The Great T206 Back Stamp Project: Click Here
My Online Trading Site: Click Here
Member of OBC (Old Baseball Cards), the longest running on-line collecting club www.oldbaseball.com
My Humble Blog: Click Here