View Single Post
Old 04-21-2022, 10:08 AM
Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by Farmerbret View Post
This begs the question.... Who is NEXT to join the 3000 hit club? I don't think Robinson Cano (currently at 2629) is going to get there. I can see Jose Altuve (1783) and Freddie Freeman (1720) both making a run at it. Thoughts?

If Cano doesn't make it (and I don't think he will), it might be a verrrrrry long time before we see another 3000 hit guy.

A few years ago, I would have bet my house that Cano and Altuve would get there. The pandemic, injuries and steroids derailed Cano. He needs about 2 1/2 solid seasons to get there. He's signed through next season and I wouldn't be surprised if the Mets just cut bait on him and eat the last year of his contract. Think he's too much of a hot potato for anybody else to pick him up for any type of serious starting job.

Altuve fancies himself a HR hitter now. That and a few injuries have kind of cratered his average and hit numbers. If he can stay healthy, he's still got a shot, but I think it's a bit of a longshot.

Freeman's a 6 foot 5 inch 1st baseman. At some point injuries are going to get him. Likely a HOF career but not quite 3000 hits. He's profiles almost exactly to Eddie Murray, but I don't think he'll stick around quite as long.

After those guys, there's really nobody waiting in the wings to make a go of it.

Last edited by D. Bergin; 04-21-2022 at 10:09 AM.