View Single Post
Old 04-27-2022, 09:35 AM
Greg Mitchell

Default Why has market gone crazy? And outlook?

Hello again. Some may recognize my name from awhile back when I was a regular poster here and solid (I believe) buyer and seller....Starting two years ago I decided to sell off about 90% of my pre-war cards, and almost all the pricier ones. I had reached a certain age, the market seemed flat and Covid had arrived, and baseball obsessed baby boomers about to (maybe) fade out....Anyway, for the next year I sold at auction and did pretty well, no complaints....But imagine my shock when, not long ago, I noticed the rather sudden surge in prices starting in 2021, and still accelerating (see: REA this week), where many of the better cards had doubled or even quadrupled in price (Ruths, Gehrigs, Cobbs, even a 1953 Mays, and some t206 etc.)....I had sold at exactly the "wrong" time...

So what happened? Just investment craziness in a time of uncertainty and NFTs etc.? Other factors? I am out of touch with any past analysis on this board. And what happens next? For example, that big climb in t206s prices--does that linger now or does the reality of many examples for most cards in the set arrive and we see a major fall back? And even true with more rare Ruth and Gehrig cards? Thanks for any reply, even if just guessing....