View Single Post
Old 05-10-2022, 03:20 PM
Bob C.

Interesting move by Ebay, and PSA. I wonder if this was in any way initiated by PSA looking at the original authentication deal between Ebay and CSG as a direct attack by CSG against them? If so, this could be their response back to fend off what could be their biggest potential competitor.

Raises some obvious questions though. For one, how the hell can you verify authenticity of a card in someone else's slab? I've always heard that it is impossible to fully examine a card in a slab to determine. From experience I know you can't really examine the edges of a slabbed card at all, or fully examine the surface due to the layer of plastic. And forget about any indication of the feel or smell of the card. Who are they kidding to think they can be perfect in determining authenticity of someone else's slabbed cards, without the ability to actually examine them in their raw, pristine state?

And then, what about issues that PSA doesn't grade? Are they suddenly going to claim to be able to determine authenticity of S74 silks and Fro-Joy cards graded by someone else? Or maybe they're going to suddenly start grading all these issues they've been ignoring for years so they don't appear stupid and hypocritical.

I've said on different occasions how we in the hobby have failed ourselves by allowing the TPGs and others in the card industry to set the parameters and call the shots on standards and how we collect and make decisions for us on what is what. Now it appears that Ebay is similarly trying to exert its will on those of us in the hobby still buying through them by forcing us to use and abide by PSA's thinking and will, whether we like it or not. Unbelievable!